Picture this: You scoop some grains into your rice cooker, and press start. The rice bubbles away. You haven't plugged the cooker into a wall outlet at all.
This kind of culinary black magic is the Wireless Power Consortium's (WPC) vision for a high-power wireless charger made specifically for kitchen appliances. Shown off at the CES show in January, the unnamed standard will supply up to 2,400 watts of power through inductive charging built into -- or beneath -- the countertop.
Look closely and you can see the Qi logo on the charging surface below these appliances.
World Power Consortium
If this sounds at all familiar, it's because WPC is the organization behind Qi wireless charging -- pronounced "chee" -- the protocol supported by phones from Samsung, Apple and LG. While wireless charging has been available to phones for years, companies want to take the technology beyond your handset, using wireless charging to power up laptops, fitness bands and yes, even kitchen appliances.
Although we're seeing a push in the wireless charging space for transmitters that will recharge your devices over the air -- wireless power over distances of 15, 30 and even 80 feet -- the Wireless Power Consortium believes that its magnetic inductive charging, which only works over distance of a few millimeters, will deliver the strongest, safest surge of energy to a device.
- Axial Flow Fan Energy Saving
- The Benefits Of Wireless Fast Charging
- 3D Printing Applications
- HDMI Cable Usage
- Data Cable Classification
- Cooling Fan Installation Skills
- Car Charger Features
- What Is The Difference Between A Digital Servo ...
- Wireless Charger Related Reports
- 3D Printing 3D Design
- Wireless Charging Is Meh, But It's Going To Get...
- On A 9-Volt Battery, Which Terminal Is Positive?
- Digital And Analog Servo's
- Servo Motor Encoders
- Are Inductive Wireless Chargers Safe?
- Servo Motors
- How To Choose A Cooling Fan In Five Easy Steps
- Medical Implications Of Wireless Charger
- Maker Takes To The Tarmac On 3D-printed Lego El...
- HDMI Is Suitable For Gaming?